Wednesday, January 4, 2012

One School, One Book: our first selection

The Shallows: What the Internet is doing to our Brains by Nicolas Carr

Carr made a splash with his 2008 Atlantic Monthly Article "Is Google Making us Stupid?"  His book continues the theme and explores the ways that our constant connection to a digital flood of information is changing how we think and process ideas. Carr describes the loss of the ability for deep sustained thought.
Thanks to Mireille Rabate for the suggestion of this book as the first in our "One School, One Book" program.  There will be opportunities to discuss this book later in the year.  The high school library has copies of The Shallows available on kindles and in print.  So come check it out and see for yourself if you agree with Carr's arguments.

And for another perspective:
Review from NYT written by Jonah Lehrer, author of Proust Was a Neuroscientist (also available in the high school library)

Review on Slate

1 comment:

  1. So, I was reading the first chapter, through Amazon, and of course after getting to about page 10, I started losing interest in what I was reading. Maybe Carr would say that I've lost my capacity to continue to read and finish his book, but for me it's mostly because I am a user of the internet and don't really side with him, and my own interests lead me to deter. My initial interest was to find out some details about his opinion on the Internet's effects on the mind, although, the first chapter was diluted with “unimportant” sidetracked information, which led me to start skimming through. I guess it’s somewhat hard to read a book about the supposed mind numbing medium, the internet, over the internet.

    ReplyDelete