We still read some of the popular books from 50 yearas ago. Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger is the most enduring of the bestsellers. And the Hugo award winner that year, Stranger in a Strange Land is probably the source of the name for the SAT prep site just pitched to our 11th graders, Grockit.
The movies that won oscars that year have proved to have even more staying power. Lawernce of Arabia won best picture and the performance that won best actor is still shown in classrooms every year, Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird.
1962 Bestsellers1. Ship of Fools, Katherine Anne Porter
2. Dearly Beloved: A Theme and Variations,
3. A Shade of Difference, Allen Drury
4. Youngblood Hawke, Herman Wouk
5. Franny and Zooey, J.D. Salinger
6. Fail-Safe, Eugene Burdick and Havey Wheeler
7. Seven Days in May, Fletcher Knebel and Charles W. Bailey II
8. The Prize, Irving Wallace
9. The Agony and the Ecstasy, Irving Stone
10. The Reivers, William Faulkner
Coming up: Bestsellers and Award Winners from 1972, 1982, and 1992!